View Districts of Workforce Shortage (DWS), Inner/Outer Metro areas, ASGC Remoteness Areas (ASGC-RA 06) and associated information.
View the Map
Specialist Training Programme (STP)
What it doesThe Specialist Training Programme (STP) provides support so that medical specialist trainees can rotate through an expanded range of settings beyond traditional public teaching hospitals.
The STP is the single platform for Commonwealth grants support for specialist training initiatives.
The level of funding available as a salary contribution for each training position is $100,000 (ex GST) per full-time employee. Posts in rural locations may also be provided with rural loadings of up to $20,000 (ex GST).
As well as contributing funding towards specialist training positions, the programme also provides funds for a range of support activities, including:
- clinical supervision and training infrastructure for all private sector STP training;
- developing system-wide education and infrastructure support projects to enhance training opportunities for eligible trainees; and
- developing support projects aimed at Specialist International Medical Graduates (SIMGs) to help these doctors get access to appropriate training.
What it achievesThe aims and objectives of this programme are to:
- increase the capacity of the health workforce to train specialists;
- deliver better specialist training with education that matches demand and reflects the way health services are delivered; and
- develop networked specialist training arrangements.
Want more info?Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Go to the Department of Health website>
Download STP Operational Framework>
What is ASGC-RA?
Check eligible ASGC-RA locations>