View Districts of Workforce Shortage (DWS), Inner/Outer Metro areas, ASGC Remoteness Areas (ASGC-RA 06) and associated information.
View the Map
Rural Other Medical Practitioners Program (ROMPs)
What it doesROMPs gives access to the A1 Medicare rebate to non-vocationally recognised medical practitioners (also known as Other Medical Practitioners) providing GP services in eligible rural and remote areas. Normally non-vocationally recognised medical practitioners would access the lower A2 Medicare rebate.
To be eligible for this program a doctor must:
- be non-vocationally recognised and
- express an interest in achieving Fellowship of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners or Fellowship of the Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine.
A doctor must also be providing services in any of the following designated locations:
- Rural, Remote Metropolitan Area (RRMA) classifications 4-7
- Defined 'areas of consideration' or
- Approved RRMA 3 locations with significant medical workforce shortages.
- salaried doctors
- medical graduates
- overseas trained doctors
- temporary resident doctors
- special interest practitioners who want to specialize in general practice
- doctors providing GP services in RRMA 4-7 through the Rural Locum Relief Programs and the State Overseas Trained Doctors initiative.
Salaried doctors who are eligible to get a provider number and attract Medicare benefits for their services, and who relocate or provide ongoing services in designated locations may be eligible for the ROMPs program.
What it achievesThe program provides an extra incentive for OMPs in adequately supplied workforce areas to relocate to areas of workforce shortage.
Want more info?Call Department of Human Services - Medicare 1800 032 259
or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
or Go to website>
or contact the Rural Workforce Agency in your state or territory:
|Northern Territory||Medicare Local||(08) 8982 1000|
|Queensland||Health Workforce Qld||(07) 3105 7800|
|WA||Rural Health West||(08) 6389 4500|
|SA||Rural Doctors Workforce Agency||(08) 8234 8277|
|NSW||NSW Rural Doctors Network||(02) 4924 8000|
|Victoria||RWAV||(03) 9349 7800|
|Tasmania||Health Recruitment Plus||(03) 6334 2355|