View Districts of Workforce Shortage (DWS), Inner/Outer Metro areas, ASGC Remoteness Areas (ASGC-RA 06) and associated information.
View the Map
OTD scaling discount calculators
Use the calculators to get an indication of scaling discounts.
Do you already work in rural or remote practice?If:
- you‘ve already spent time in Australia under your 10 year restriction period (since 1 July 2010)
- you intend to remain in rural or remote locations
Are you new to rural and remote practice?If you’d like to know about the discounts available for a particular location, use the sliders to enter the RA category and period of time (in months) you intend to be at that location below.
The results from these calculators are based on an average 30 day month and should be used as an indication only. Medicare Australia (as the administrator of this program) is responsible for calculating and displaying actual scaling discounts.
Before using the scaling discount calculators, please note the following terms and conditions:
- For the purposes of these calculators, an overseas trained doctor (OTD) is a medical practitioner who is defined as an OTD or foreign graduate of an accredited medical school (FGAMS) under the Health Insurance Act 1973 (the Act).
- Medicare Australia is responsible for calculating and displaying ‘actual’ scaling discounts.
- OTDs will be required to meet eligibility criteria on a monthly basis to be eligible for a scaling discount.
- Results from this calculator are indicative only.
- OTDs and FGAMS will be able to view scaling discounts through Medicare Australia’s Health Professional Online Services.
Note: Doctors participating on the Five Year OTD Scheme should contact their Rural Workforce Agency for further information.